Monday, March 15, 2010

Make and Do



I recently liberated our old set of World Book Childcraft Encyclopedia set from my mom's storage room. This set is the 1979 edition and all the kids in the pictures are sporting bell bottoms, crocheted sweaters and pigtails tied with that thick colored wool only kids from the 70's would remember. Of the set of 15 my favorite was No.11 "Make and Do", the one with all the crafts. I would spend more time flipping through the book looking at the crazy pictures than actually doing the crafts.

When I went through the volume again now I remembered all the pictures from when I was little, only now I can see how talented the illustrators were. The drawings have great details and there was an actual effort to include kids from different ethnic groups.

The first chapter "Toys, Crafts and Make-Believe", was always my favorite because of the illustrations, checking the the back of the book it said the illustrator was Lynne Cherry, I don't know 100% if this is the same artist but I'm thinking yes.

I like the idea of getting all my friends together, putting crazy stuff on our heads and creating the ultimate kitchen band.



No comments: