Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Golden Girls, no the other ones


Clockwise from top left: Jade, Vultra, Moth Lady & Sapphire.

Sometimes I just get nostalgic for my old toys. My Golden Girl dolls were some of my favorites; put out during the height of the whole HeMan/SheRa craze they were Galoob's way of trying to cash in on cartoon action figures. Even though Golden Girl never had her own TV show, she did have a series of books detailing her adventures.

The dolls were more detailed in their costumes and had more aggressive weapons than their SheRa counterparts (the shields were made out of metal and each was different unlike the repeated plastic one sported by the SheRa clan). I'm not putting down SheRa, I had those toys too, but when SheRa and her gang went up against the Golden Girls you know who always won.

When I drew up some of my favorite Girls I tried to improve on the original designs just a touch, to make them more dangerous looking. Even though it was great to see a toy manufacturer making strong women warriors, they still made them a bit too girly for my taste.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Awesome figure drawing Jody!