Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What's influencing me right now



I love old radio shows, even though there's no visual there are some crazy stories to give you ideas. Some of my favorites are the plucky girl detective Candy Matson, the creepy Hermits Cave, Nightfall, and the Witch's Tale who was actually voiced by a 13 year old girl at one point.



I'm a big fan of classic illustration and I really love these ones done by Kay Nielsen in 1925 for an edition of The Brothers Grimm stories.



These were done by Arthur Rackham in 1910 for stories of the Valkyries and Little Mermaid.



I enjoy retro covers for science fiction, horror and fantasy magazines and books. A lot of times I'm only interested in picking up a book and reading it simply because of the cover, and I am guilty of buying books just for the covers.



I also love old monster movies from the 50's and 60's, the special effects seem cheesy to us today but they were cutting edge back then and paved the way to modern movie magic. What I really miss are the painted movie posters, they're so much more colorful and intriguing than most posters coming out today from Hollywood.
The Wasp Woman 1960
The Snow Creature 1954
The Killer Shrews 1959



I also love Saul Bass for his minimalist style and use of color. He even directed a science fiction movie, Phase IV, which would never win an Oscar for acting but is a visually stunning film that represents Bass' design style brought into the real world.

No comments: