Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Choose your own adventure, educational style



This immediately caught my eye in The Green Kingdom,Volume 6 of the series. A "choose your own adventure style" game that is suppose to help kids learn to identify different trees and plants while making their way through the illustrations. Heed the clues and choose your path wisely or else you may regret it!



Well now this looks inviting. What a great way to spend the weekend, on a nature hike. I should really like this even though that first bush on the right is staring at me with it's huge eyes, there's a weird thingy peaking over the sign and there are various creatures peering out of caves and bushes, plus that giant mantis on the log up at the end of that far path. No worries.



Damn! Isn't that just like me to take the path that leads right to the pit of giant mutant spiders. Not to mention that there also seems to be giant mutant earthworms trying to take that tree down over there. This must be one of those parks built over a huge illegal nuclear waste dumping ground.



Wouldn't you know that I'd keep walking right off the edge of this cliff instead of taking that extremely dangerous looking suspension bridge over there made from twine and balsa wood. Oh well, lets keep going. Hey there's another giant mantis, and over there is an enormous caterpillar. There seems to be a giant whatchamacallit on top of that mountain and various beings with large teeth dwelling in the caves. Man and me without my camera!



Now do I dare go through the creepy cave or should I chance it with the waterfall? That Ogopogo guy at the bottom of the rapids is giving me the eye. There seems to be a lot of eyeballs staring at me from those woods back there. Oh well, ONWARD!



Ah! I always walk right into the gaping maw of a giant man eating leopard. Well, gotta keep going, got a pace to keep up. Yeah! Giant slug in that log, more huge earthworms in the trees, and yet another giant mantis! Keeps getting better and better.



Wow! I walked all the way down to the Florida everglades and right into the jaws of a mammoth alligator! I am making good time. Those earthworms are staring to evolve into some kind of bird/snake hybrid; they have to in order to survive those mantis. I wonder if I can take home one of those skull headed vultures, ya know so the cat can have some company while she's home by herself.



Yes, no nature walk is complete without wading through a tar pit. How strange that this part of the forest is severely lacking giant mutant creatures. I don't think that's a good sign. Well I can't think about that now I gotta keep moving, I'm losing daylight.



If this nature hike didn't end with a bunch of multi-colored rejects from Sesame Street I would have been really disappointed. I just hope that rainbow road home is made with real rainbow or else someone is going to be getting an ear full.

Seriously though, I love the fact that they are trying to teach kids about plants and trees while populating the surrounding forests with strange and imaginary animals. Kudos to illustrator Robert Keys for keeping learning spicy for little kids in 1979.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this game when I was a kid. Heck, I just played it here and still love it. For some reason though I can't get the larger or original images. It is just a black screen with a red dot when I click on them. I used the 'two finger stretch' method to play the game but I couldn't read all the path directions or tree names due to the blurring. Plus I'm a few decades older than I was the last time I looked at this and my eyesight just isn't the same. Thankyou for posting!

j.dobb said...

Just bought these at a yard sale when I remembered them. Got home and flipped open to these pages and was immediately hit with huge nostalgia and joy :) I used to love these pages as a child. Funny how even as an adult I think this is awesome! Looked up the illustrator in the back of the book and this page come up.